In my last post about eaHELP I shared with you that I have an Executive Assistant (EA) who helps me a lot with tasks that need to get done so that I can focus on what only I can do. I’ve had a few friends respond and ask me what exactly I have my assistant do, so I thought I would share a bit.
- Manage Travel Details: Aryn (my EA) helps me coordinate all of my travel details for the ministry events that I am involved in. This past month I have spoken over 20 days in Texas, Florida, and Mississippi. I’ve had to catch flights, coordinate drivers, rent cars, stay at hotels, etc. She takes care of all of that and inputs the information onto TripIt.com. She also creates a Travel Packet in a PDF that she sends to me before my trip including maps, schedules, contact info, reservation confirmations, etc.
- Manage My Calendar: I’m great at committing to things (often too many things), and equally as great as forgetting details about this commitment. Aryn is a huge help by making sure everything is properly input into my calendar. She will also send me a text message 5 minutes before a conference call including the person’s name, phone number, and topic of discussion. This way, if I am driving, I can just touch the number on my iPhone and it will call that person. She helps me coordinate all of my non-church ministry activities (but she is happy to do that for me as well, if need be). I use Google Calendar, so it’s easy to sync, and she works directly in there.
- Research: I was recently asked by an old friend to speak at his school on the topic of bullying. I know it’s a big issue, but I don’t know a lot about the particulars, so I asked my EA to research the topic of bullying, especially in the context of Jr. High & High School and to create a file in Evernote. She gathers all of the preliminary details and then puts it in the file for me to review when I am ready to begin working on the talk.
- Scheduling Ministry Events: I have regular submissions on my Booking Form each week and Aryn and I have worked to put together a system so that all invitations are responded to within 24-hours. She will contact the person who submitted the inquiry and schedule a phone call between me and them. Once I speak with the host, and they decide they want to move forward, and it works with my schedule, then Aryn takes it from there and takes care of all of the details (see #1).
- Editing, Administrating, and Whatever Else I Need: Those have been the main tasks that she does for me, but she is available to do whatever I need. She will edit blog posts from time-to-time, help manage projects, and has even helped me secure a reservation for Steph and I for our anniversary!
All of these tasks have been extremely helpful, and we were meeting today via Skype about more ways that she can help. Here’s what I know, before I hired eaHELP to connect me to an administrator I was doing all of the above (poorly) and had less time for my family, my ministry, and doing the things I do best. Are you a leader who is too busy and need some help? If so, I strongly recommend eaHELP.
What are the top 3 tasks that you delegate to someone else or would like to? Leave a comment with your answer.